Monday, April 23, 2012

Blueberry/Almond Butter Omelet-- Better Than A PB&J

I don't know why I think fruit has no business being in an omelet. Maybe because I usually opt to make mine spicy rather than sweet, and prefer veggies and meat instead of fruit and nuts. But today, I'm busting down barriers, throwing out my rule book, being bold, and... okay, all I'm doing is making a different kind of omelet.

To commit to this new taste explosion, some tweaks will be required. Obviously, my go-to spices of garlic and onion would be a bad call. So here's what I'm adding instead:

Blueberries and almond butter combined
Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • splash of coconut milk
  • cinnamon
  • cardamom
  • nutmeg
  • dash of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 large spoonful crunchy almond butter
  • 1 medjool date
  • ghee and/or coconut oil for skillet
Directions:
  1. Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, and spices to taste
  2. Melt a combination of ghee and coconut oil in skillet, only enough to coat the pan and the sides
  3. Once skillet is warmed, pour eggs in and swirl around (the swirl is the secret to getting the eggs to cook evenly and thinly)
  4. While eggs are cooking, smoosh together (very technical term) blueberries and almond butter. The blueberries will release a lot of juice, so the almond butter will get everything to thicken a little more
  5. Chop up medjool date, keep separate
  6. Give your eggs a few swirls as they cook to avoid any pockets from forming
  7. When the eggs are about 70% done and just starting to peel away from the skillet, add the dates and the blueberry butter mixture
  8. Let some of the juice cook off before flipping over (keeps it from being too runny), give it a flip to let everything brown a little on the other side (only for a minute or two), and flip back
  9. Fold in half and serve
Almost ready to flip over...

Sure smells promising...





















And now that I've taken a couple bites?

Yep. I'm a mad genius.
It tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, only without the crap in the average peanut butter and jelly sandwich! (Peanuts, gluten, excessive sugar, and the chance that you're eating a butt-ton of chemicals too.)

Because it has berries and a medjool date, it's higher in sugars (natural sugars, but nonetheless sugars) than my usual omelets filled with veggies and meats. This will probably be an occasional change-up and not a regular thing.



Conclusion?

YUMMY!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's sounds so good I *almost* don't miss the bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was incredibly impressed. Adding spices to the eggs first is what I think made the whole dish work.

      Delete