True, I'll cheat every now and again, 'cause it's too hard to resist a good snickerdoodle-n-frosting sandwich cookie when it's wafting its seductive scent in my face, practically pulling puppy-dog-eyes on me, begging to be consumed. But that happens maybe once, I don't know, a year... if that.
The breakdown of my first year Paleo:
|Um... am I a babe? Is that what happened?|
- lost 15 pounds that will never come back because I've replaced the unneeded fat with pretty good muscle tone
- on average, better sleep
- better skin (acne, sun exposure, healthy tone)
- better energy (if you had tried to get me to work out before 9:00am before going Paleo, I would have punched you. Hard.)
- no aches or pains, specifically in joints (unless I've done something stupid)
- able to last longer times between meals with little snacking in between
- able to sustain IM Fasting for an average minimum of 16 hours with no discomfort
- faster benefits with shorter and more intense workouts
And did I mention all the fabulous recipes I've found or created?! Almost every single one of them fits into the categories of:
- plate-licking delicious
- high-yielding (for leftovers throughout the week)
- filling without feeling uncomfortable
- great quality of foods
- yummy to those that don't eat Paleo... yet...
It's certainly changed more than just how I look at food, but how I examine larger elements of my life, like my beliefs, my politics, my spirituality, and my self-esteem. And though this last year has been by no means a cakewalk, it certainly has been rewarding and ultimately worth all the garbage that I had to sift through to find the trinket I thought I'd lost a long time ago-- ME. And even though I got a little tarnished, it's nothing that some polish can't perk up.
Another year of Paleo? Don't mind if I do!